May 11, 2010

Gym Cardio Class

This is not the first time I've gone to a gym group fitness class, and not the first time I've done many of the exercises before. I've been to the gym many times in my life, and I go through periods of working out a lot, to not working out at all. I have a hard time finding the motivation to stick to it, and create a "lifestyle" out of it. It's been a constant struggle with me.


Today is the first time I've taken a cardio fitness class at the NEW  Robert Lee YMCA, with my free membership, with a co-worker. It was called " Athletic Workout" -- Buff up your bod with our total body conditioning class! Utilizing various conditioning techniques, this class is designed to increase your metabolism and lean muscle mass while burning fat and having fun. This non-choreographed circuit-style class will motivate, challenge and empower you regardless of your fitness level. 


I almost died. Literally. It was very challenging, but pushed me to limits I didn't think I could go, and pushed me harder than I've been pushed in a long time! I've been mainly doing the elliptical trainer/stair climber for the last month, which was really quite dull and boring, so I'm going to continue trying new classes at this new gym! It'll be a good week of firsts at the gym!! I've been looking forward to this gym opening for a long time and I am excited to start my "wedding fitness program" and weight loss goals. (I've already lost about 5 lbs in the last few weeks) 


...."The new Robert Lee YMCA offers more than 92,000 square feet of services and programs to strengthen the lives of families, children, youth, adults and seniors. This fully accessible building also breaks down all types of barriers to community—physical, financial or otherwise. Besides our brand new look and feel, we have a new name. The Robert Lee YMCA is named after Mr. Robert H. Lee, a Vancouver-born entrepreneur and philanthropist, in recognition of his leadership donation towards the new facility. A member for 45 years, Mr. Lee made the YMCA a part of his daily life.
You may not know that the original Downtown YMCA served Vancouver for more than 70 years. In fact, our building’s heritage exterior is a constant reminder of the YMCA’s historical place in the community. Founded in 1886, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver started out providing services for young men. But for more than 100 years now, we’ve been a part of the lives of children, teens, women and seniors in the Lower Mainland. In fact, we’ve served more than 97,000 people in 2008 alone."..... 


Join a gym today, and try out some new classes for the first time; you'll be surprised how good it feels! 

No comments: