May 02, 2010

Tim Hortons (ARK)

Today, I was wearing my ARK tshirt, and I was having a pretty terrible day. Nothing happened that was bad necessarily, I was just overall in a very crummy mood. And, I wasn't choosing to make myself happy, but dwelling in the unhappiness of my day. I do this sometimes. It's kind of sad.

Anyways, a guy was about to pay for a $2.00 coffee at Tim Hortons in front of me, with a $20.00 bill. This particular Tim Hortons was a very small one inside a gas station, so the teller asked the man if he had any smaller change? He said no, and the teller asked him if he wouldn't mind getting change from other teller at the gas station. He seemed annoyed, and instantly without thinking, I took out a toonie and said, "don't worry about it, I'll buy your coffee today!" the guy said "no, no!" and I insisted. He thanked me and I told him to "pay it forward". He looked at me weirdly after this, and took off quite quickly.

Maybe he didn't know what I meant, by "pay it forward"? If you haven't seen the movie "Pay It Forward" I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it. It's about a 12-year-old boy who is in grade school. His social studies teacher Eugene Simonet (Spacey) gives the class an assignment to devise and put into action a plan that will change the world for the better. Trevor calls his plan "pay it forward", which can be described as a charitable pyramid scheme, based on good deeds rather than profit. "Paying it forward" means the recipient of a favor does a favor for a third party rather than paying the favor back. It's an amazing concept, and I think more people should live their lives with this in mind.

anyways, buy someone a coffee or offer to pay for someone's food if they don't have the money. It makes you feel good, and  my day brightened almost instantly after that. It doesn't take much to make your day, and someone else's a little bit brighter. Try it today!

No comments: