May 16, 2010

Spinal Health Evaluation

I was walking out of Costco and came up to a booth that was asking "Do you have bad posture?" I instantly said, "yes!" to myself, because I catch myself all the time slouching. Even just as I typed this last sentence, I noticed I was slouching.

They were doing spinal examinations, and if you booked an appointment with them, part of the proceeds would go to the Children's Hospital. How can I possibly say no to this? Normally a visit to the Chiropractor would easily cost $50, and I paid $20 which I can get back from Extended Medical anyways.

Today, for the first time I got a "computerized spinal examination through Surface sEMG , which is used to measure relative levels of electrical activity generated when muscles contract. This measurement provides you  with valuable information regarding muscle tension as a feedback mechanism within the body. This measured data is an objective tool which can help you determine areas of excess or low muscle activity, providing both a qualitative and quantitative view of how your muscular system is functioning. " --- this also made me think I need to do more weight training on my upper back/shoulders!


Apparently, posture ranks right up at the top of the list when you are talking about good health. It is as important as eating right, exercising, getting a good night's sleep and avoiding substances like alcohol, drugs and tobacco. Good posture is a way of doing things with more energy, less stress and fatigue. Without good posture, you can't really be physically fit. The importance of good posture in an overall fitness program is often overlooked by fitness advisers and fitness seekers alike. 

Read here http://www.kansaschirofoundation.org/goodposture-article.html for some good info on posture. "In fact, the benefits of good posture may be among the best kept secrets of the current fitness movement. The good news is that most everyone can avoid the problems caused by bad posture and you can make improvements at any age."


I am going to see one of these Chiropractors I met outside of Costco tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.  If you look at my results from the test above (my spine is on the right- the green lines are normal on the left)  it clearly shows that my upper back and upper spine have major issues. Yikes! (maybe he was concerned so I would book an appt?-- either way, it worked) 

No comments: