February 05, 2010

25 cents

Today, I was feeling like I needed a pick me up. So, yet again, I'm going to do another Random Act of Kindness. It is a simple one today, and didn't really take much effort or money. Even though I've done a lots of these, I am still experiencing a first  moment! They are R.A.O.K's that I've never done,  incase you wanted to challenge me.


Today, for my first I put a quarter on top of a pay phone. Simple, easy and no thought to accomplish this. Take a quarter out of your wallet, and place it on top of a pay phone. I'm actually always surprised when I see a pay phone these days, as they are starting to be an extinct machine. Whenever my phone dies, and I desperately need to use a phone, it is almost impossible to find one.

History
Pay phones were preceded by pay stations, manned by telephone company attendants who would collect payment for calls placed. In 1889, the first public coin telephone was invented by William Gray and installed at a bank in Hartford, Connecticut. The invention quickly caught on, and by 1902, there were 81,000 pay phones in the United States. By 1905, the first outdoor pay phones with booths were installed. By the end of 1925, 25,000 of these booths existed in New York City alone. In 1960, the Bell System installed its one millionth telephone booth. Unfortunately due to excessive vandalism, this market struggled.


Try something new, or do something different today! It will make you feel happy. :)

*side note- journal type babbling-blah blah- I need to get this off my chest* This blog thing is beginning to be quite difficult and challenging! My fiance is out of the country, and quite often I would do my first with him involved, or with him at least in the vicinity. I miss him! I am losing interest in my blog because I'd really prefer not to do these experiences on my own. I've never been very good at being alone, or being by myself for too long. Since Matt's left, I'm feeling lonely. More lonely than I've felt in a long time. I'm not sure why this is? Everyone I know has their own stuff going on, and friends, and things they are doing. People are busy living their lives, and experiencing their own firsts. I wish I had more people to call upon, to experience these things with me. (It's been really great having my Mom here for the Olympics, as we've experienced a number of things together!) Perhaps I need to join some classes, that will allow me to meet some new people- that's a good plan! Anyone have any good ideas for me? Classes to join?

1 comment:

Ashley said...

You can call me! Aaron is busy a lot and it is true people are off doing their own things! I would love to hang out!