February 12, 2010

German House/ Opening Ceremonies/Madness

Today I experienced SO MANY firsts , it's hard to count. The 'German House' down in  Gas Town was one of them.  It is one of the many "temporary" houses they've built, that you can experience here while the Olympics are in town. I ate the bratwurst, which was just incredible! I had two - so delicious!  I definitely recommend you go there, just for this purpose, if not for the much selection of beer. I went during the day, so missed out on the live music, so I wish to go back and experience that at some point. 
The tent offers visitors a taste of the German beer-hall experience, featuring long tables and benches where people can watch the Olympics on a big screen.

The limited menu has Thuringer bratwurst (sausage in a bun) for $7, including tax, Rostlbratl (flavoured pork chop in a bun) for $9 and two types of Kostritzer beer for $8.25, one a Pilsner, the other a dark ale.

Also, I checked out the Opening Ceremonies on a massive screen at the Vogue Theatre, on Granville. I'd never heard of this place before, but it was perfect! It is an old theatre, with two levels of seating and people were cheering, and hootin' and hollering. It was truly a perfect place to watch it out of the rain, but with many many other excited Canadians! My favourite part was the Governor General "sleeping" three times and the whole crowd in the theatre laughed and booed! It was good fun. I especially loved when Wayne Gretzsky was decided to be the final torch bearer! People in the theatre were going absolustley bonkers- it gave me goosebumps.  I really was truly proud to be Canadian and had a few moments of choked back tears. I loved it. I want to go back in time and experience it again- it was THAT good! 

Here's a video of the speech "WE ARE MORE" -- loved this! It was cheesy, but perfect! 

No comments: