February 18, 2010

Ontario House

My friend Katie and I went to the Ontario house for the first time today. We got there around 8:30pm, so I didn't have very high hopes of getting in, as most Olympic Venues are packed by this point in the evening. We decided to try anyways and we got in after about an hour and a half wait. The time went by very quickly as I had great company:)



My first impressions of the Ontario House was that it just looked like any other bar in Vancouver. (boring!) I've only ever been to Toronto once in my life, and it was more than 10 years ago so I don't recall anything about Ontario. Does it have culture or anything interesting about it? If they do, the house did not display this at all. It wasn't anything special (ok maybe a few pretty pink and purple glowing lights). They had some kind of art installation titled "Waterfall" made of recycled bottles on a far back wall from floor to ceiling. (see photo above) It was somewhat interesting and the light passed through the bottles in a unique way. Go here if you'd like to read more about it: Waterfall

Jully Black was performing, and we were thrilled, but not jumping up and down in our shoes by any means. We've heard of her, and knew of some of her hit songs from the radio like "Running" and "Seven Day Fool" and "Until I Stay". 

Here's an interesting story about her a few years back:  "In summer 2005, a newly recorded album, This Is Me, was released by Universal Music Canada. According to a piracy report by IFPI, the international music industry body, there were "2.8 million illegal file swapping requests for her music in the first two weeks of her album's release in 2005". At the same time, Black reportedly "struggled to sell 15,000 copies of the same album".  Isn't that sad? Artists these days must have a tough time making money, as it's very simple to download any music you want for free. 

I always become more of a fan, when I see a musical artist perform LIVE. I really loved her; her energy, her spunk and her shoes! (how did she walk in those things?) She really got the crowd moving and singing and dancing! There's something about a live show, that really makes me love music; music in any form. I came into the show with no expectations, and left a happy Jully Black fan!  Check out some of the videos I took. The videos are terrible, and shaky, but you can get a feel for the music and appreciate how talented she is!



No comments: