February 01, 2010

Spam

Spam is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation. The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added, salt, water, sugar, and sodium nitrite to help keep its color. Oh lovely! Spam's gelatinous glaze, (which is really un-appetizing) forms from the cooling of meat stock. The product has become part of many jokes and urban legends about mystery meat, which has made it part of pop culture and folklore.

There is something seriously wrong with this picture? Everything looks good, except for the strange processed mystery food at the bottom. I've always been curious to try Spam, but for some reason had it in my mind that it was disgusting. Where does this come from? This is actually a pet peeve of mine. Don't judge people before you've really got to know them, and don't assume you don't like a food before you've even tried it! So, I thought I'd try this for the first time and make up own opinion of it. 

It wasn't amazing, and wasn't terrible however I will probably not finish the can or ever buy it again. But, I'm glad I tried it! It tastes like a mushy version of ham/pork meat and looks pretty gross (like cat food) once it's out of the can. It was very hard to even get the stupid goo out of the container, and my first bite was with a big ol' spoon! I think perhaps if you cook it in an omelette or cut it up and cook it with other ingredients it could be bearable.  Check out THIS website for a million different ways to eat the goo. 

This turned me off the most, knowing how terribly bad it was for you, 50% fat and 30% sodium. Yuck. I would far rather eat some pizza, or cheese, or a bowl of ice cream anyday! 

Try a new food today for the first time. You may like it, you may hate it, but at least you are being adventurous! 

No comments: