April 16, 2010

Apple Jelly

I'm a simple raspberry or strawberry jam kind of girl. I like the Real Fruit brand, with lots of extra fruit in it; you can take a spoonful right out of the jar and eat it!  This is the second new spread I've tried for the first time this year.

Apple Jelly. Is Jelly a jam? They are both made from fruit mixed with sugar and pectin. The difference between them comes in the form that the fruit takes.

-In jelly, the fruit comes in the form of fruit juice.
-In jam, the fruit comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit (and is less stiff than jelly as a result).

I've decided I am more of a fan of jam, than jelly, because I like the chunky bits of fruit and pulp.

What do you prefer? 

This particular Apple jelly I bought, reminded me quite a lot of honey, except with a slight almost cinnamon taste to it. It has very similar texture and color as honey, and tasted great on a bagel with butter. For me, because I am allergic to fresh apples, anytime I see an apple product that is cooked, I go for it.  Glad I tried it, but probably won't buy it again.





Interesting facts about Apple allergies (wiki)

Oral allergy syndrome is an allergic reaction some people will experience due to the birch pollen left on the apples.  Because the pollen is the main irritant, only the raw apples, especially their skin, cause the allergic reaction. Cooked apples do not cause these symptoms as the heat denatures the proteins in the pollen rendering them harmless to those sensitive. If one is allergic to apples, he or she may also experience an allergic reaction with other fruits in the Rosaceae family which include peaches and hazelnuts. (I am also allergic to these, interesting!) 

Next time, I'm going to make some jam from scratch so you can limit the amount of sugar! This jelly was a bit too sweet for my liking... Try a new jam or jelly today! Break out of your normal every day jam habits, and try something new :) 

No comments: