April 11, 2010

Nose Piercing

I got my nose pierced today for the first time! It is an opal gemstone which is sweet, because this is my birth stone. I've been wanting to do this for years and years! I've had my belly button pierced, my tongue pierced and a few tattoos here and there, so this was always on my list! I'm not afraid of a little pain, and I quite enjoy the idea of being covered in piercings and tattoos. I'm not gonna lie, it hurt more than words can describe; for about 10 seconds as he poked the long sharp needle into my cartilage, and for another 30 seconds as he put the bottom part of the stud in place. My eyes watered like crazy and my makeup ran down my face. Once it was done, I felt a very slight tingling feeling and I could see it if I looked down at my nose.  I have to soak my nose in salt water for the next 4-6 weeks, 2 x a day,  but it was totally worth it. I love it :)

Body modification (or body alteration) is the deliberate altering of the human body for non-medical reasons, such as sexual enhancement, a rite of passage, aesthetic reasons, denoting affiliation, trust and loyalty, religious reasons, shock value, and self-expression. It can range from the socially acceptable decoration (e.g., pierced ears in many societies) to the religiously mandated (e.g., circumcision in a number of cultures), and everywhere in between. Body art is the modification of any part of the human body for spiritual, religious, artistic or aesthetic reasons.

I admire people who can do crazy piercings, and face tattoos, and blue hair, and mohawks etc.etc. I wish I was more brave, and didn't care what people thought of me. I wish I could just go and get a full sleeve tattoo, for the world to see! (instead I put mine on my back, so it could be covered if necessary)  I wish I could die my hair blue, and rock a double lip piercing with giant holes in my ears! I love it. I really do.

Even though I would never go to these extremes, I find it fascinating that this guy was able to actually DO this! It's quite amazing if you really think about it. Not many people in this world, would have the guts or self-expression to do this to their own skin and face.

Would you?

I admire this guy for going outside of the social norms of what is "acceptable" .

In case you were thinking that my nose piercing was at all a crazy thing, I have one more video to show you, about body modification. I do not recommend you watch this if you are at all a queezy person. It is shocking, and disgusting and might even make some people vomit. ....I poked around YouTube for awhile today, and I guarantee there are way more shocking things than this!

Go get a piercing today, and don't worry about what other people think. Do it for you! 

No comments: