April 23, 2010

Surprise Sushi

For the first time today, I went to a little Sushi place called "Asiana"on Commercial Drive with my sister ; I will definitely go back! The service was awesome! I find it rare to go into a sushi restaurant and have friendly service. Generally, they don't speak English and get you in and out of their restaurant as quickly as possible. This place had employees that were very smily, and friendly and helpful. It was a very good experience.

I normally have the same sushi every time I go out for Japanese because I know what I like. Today, I tried 2 new sushi rolls for the first time, for my blog!

For the first one, I tried a Firecracker Roll. On the menu, it didn't have the ingredients listed beside the name, like many of the others so, I ordered this one for the purpose of being surprised! I didn't ask what was in it, I just ordered it. (it was only $2.95 so if I hated it, it wouldn't be the end of the world)

It was exciting not knowing what I was going to get. I like surprises!  It ended up being a little spicy, and very yummy. It was like a little explosion in your mouth. The red bell pepper gives a little spicy crunch, while the cream cheese and cilantro cool it down. I was pleasantly surprised by this one!

For the second one, I asked the waitress to surprise me with a Sushi Roll, under $6.00. She seemed confused at first, but once I explained it, she agreed to pick something for me. I told her it could be anything she wanted, as long as it was under this price. She came back afterwards to make sure I wasn't a vegetarian, and seemed quite happy to order a surprise for me. About 20 minutes later we had our Sushi order in to-go bags to take back to Tara's house. She put the surprise sushi in a seperate bag, and told me it was called "Honto Maki". (Tuna, salmon, avocado) It was a bit more "raw" fish that I usually would order, but it was quite tasty. It is definetely not something I would normally order, so it was good to try something new for a change!

Order something new, or get the waitress to surprise you. It's good fun :)

No comments: