April 17, 2010

Wolf Eel

I went to the Pacific Sands Resort with my parents, in Parksville today for the first time. They have a giant fish tank in the restaurant full of giant fish, and sea creatures. There was a floor to ceiling tank that you could walk underneath and look above at the fish. I felt like I was at the Aquarium except we were about to eat lunch.  I also saw a Wolf Eel for the first time. I didn't even know these things existed in our world. This thing was really creepy looking, and apparently it was 6 feet long.  He was hiding his body in a tunnel, so we couldn't see it. It was in the shadows staring at me as I walked by and I instantly thought he looked like an old man, with a big lip. ...


Much like this guy?  hahahahaha.... 

The Wolf eel  is a member of the family Anarhichadidae together with the wolffishes of the genus Anarhichas. Sure, I know exactly what that is, don't you?

The Wolf eel is monotypic within the genus Anarrhichthys. This superficially eel-like fish feeds on crustaceans, sea urchins, mussels, clams and some fishes, crushing them with its strong jaws. It can grow to be 203 centimetres (80 in), 18.6 kilograms (41 lb), and is found in the northern 
Pacific Ocean, ranging from the Sea of Japan and the Aleutian Islands to northern California. The wolf-eel makes its home on rocky reefs or stony bottom shelves from shallow to moderate depths, picking a territory in a crevice, den or lair in the rocks.

Large wolf eels can be aggressive and are capable
of inflicting painful bites on humans. So, if you see one while diving or snorkeling swim away as fast as you can. It will probably catch you though as they swim very fast, so my advice would be to attack it, and bring it home to eat. Apparently the meat tastes very good. .. good luck! 

We also saw these GIANT fish, laying at the bottom of the tank along with the Wolf Eel, just sleeping or resting. I can't remember what kind of fish they are? Any ideas, all you knowledgeable-fish people out there? Apparently I haven't observed enough fish in my life to realize that they rest and don't just swim all day long and all night. . . . 

Don't they look dead? If you look close enough, they are both staring at me; their eyeballs are turned all the way around to look at me. 

CREEEEPPYYY.  

No comments: