April 21, 2010

Caramel Hair Salon

Today is the first time I went to the Caramel Hair Salon on Granville and 7th ave, and I only went because a friend of mine wrote about it in her Blog. (thanks Katie!) I have lived in Vancouver for 3 years or so now, and I still have yet to find a Hair Stylist I click with, and really trust and have confidence in- until, today! I generally leave feeling disappointed, or upset.

My first impression walking in, was the place looked looked inviting and calm. They brought me some Green Tea and gave me a form to fill out, about my hair, problems, products I use, and even my hair goals. Yes, hair goals. (I'll talk more about this later) The best part about the form she gave me to fill out, was that it was re-useable. I mean that she gave me a white board marker, and got me to write on a laminated piece of paper. This was great, as tomorrow is Earth Day and I love the idea of saving the environment wherever possible!

My hair stylist's name was Catherine, and she was awesome!! She spent a long time helping me figure out my hair problems, and suggesting different things, and we had good conversation- all the things a Hair Dresser should do, but we got along! It wasn't forced, and she was friendly and easy to talk to. The environment was comfortable; I drank Green Tea and even took my shoes off.  I had a Hair Salon like this in Victoria for 6 years, and really missed the great experience you can have while getting your hair cut. (The bonus- she charges $40 for a hair cut, rather than the $50 or $60 I normally pay. )

She didn't rush through it, and do a half-ass job like many places do. She really took her time, and  examined all the strands of hair and problem areas, and asked me lots of questions. She was very knowledgeable and quite obviously loved her job! I told her I wanted to grow my bangs and layers out to have long flowy hair for my wedding. We made a long-term goal together and she went over the steps we'd take to get to our "goal". I told her I was getting married in March next year, and so we're aiming for that date as our goal! I'm so excited about it! This probably won't be exciting for anyone but me, but if you've ever had this experience than you'll know what I'm talking about! A Hair Stylist who actually cares, who would've thought they existed in Vancouver? Not me.

Today is the first time in a long time, I've left a Salon feeling really good about it. I absolutely recommend you go to this place. All of the hair stylists seemed to be very friendly so I'm sure any of them would be great....

1 comment:

Fran said...

Catherine IS awesome! Not only is she a hair therapist but she's tons of fun too.