April 07, 2010

Pineapple Jam


I saw this in the grocery store last night, and was really pumped to try it! Have you ever walked down the grocery isle purposely looking for new things to try? I've never done this until now. I filled my cart with all kinds of weird, random fun things to eat. It was GREAT fun! You should try it. You might end up with a pile of condiments that you may never eat, but who cares!

I decided to try the jam on stone wheat crackers, but I can imagine it would be good on bread, or a bagel too. I found the jam to be quite sweet, maybe a little much so, but definitely tasted like pineapple! After I ate about 3 crackers with jam on it, I couldn't have any more, it was a bit too much. I really craved an actual fresh pineapple more than anything after experiencing pineapple jam for the first time.

Here's a delicious looking recipe using the jam: Roast Duck with Vanilla and Pineapple jam.

http://www.expatliving.sg/article/wine-dine/recipes/roast-duck-vanilla-and-pineapple-jam


As you can see, the jam is not exactly healthy; one tbsp 50 calories. Yikes.

I think next time, I will make my own jam from scratch. It will have less chemicals and preservatives, and I can control the amount of sugar added. Here is a simple recipe to use if you are wanting to try this for YOUR first today :)

http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-make-pineapple-jam

Did you know:

- The word pineapple in English was first recorded in 1398, when it was originally used to describe the reproductive organs of conifer trees (now termed pine cones).

- The natural (or most common) pollinator of the pineapple is the hummingbird.

No comments: