April 19, 2010

Child Donation

Today, is the first time working at the YMCA, a child the age of 5, donated to our annual fundraising campaign. It was the cutest thing I've ever witnessed. She is one of the kindest and most thoughtful children I've met, as she really enjoys making gifts and giving to others to make them happy. Her mother is a lovely woman, and I really enjoy talking with her every day; she's taught her daughter well!

Today, this little girl, came up to me, and said " Jen Jen (this is her nickname for me), I would like to give money to the kids as a donation", and at first I was confused. But, she explained and pointed out the sign she had read about our Kids Helping Kids fundraiser, and she wanted to help other kids. I was touched and really thought it was amazing that a 5 year old would be so willing to give to others. This is a common age for children to not want to share anything they have! 

She pulled out her Hello Kitty wallet, and gave me $0.49 in pennies, and nickels and dimes. I told her that I was very proud of her, and thanked her for helping out not-so-fortunate kids who wouldn't be able to afford to go to the YMCA if it weren't for generous donations like hers!

Just remember, $0.49 is like $100 for adults. Kids hold on to pennies and nickels like they are gold. They find a penny on the ground, and it's like they've won the lottery. It's great! 

She said, "My Momma is gonna be so proud of me! " It was really a heart warming moment, and I thought writing her a receipt would be a cute little way to show her how important and official her donation was!  What an absolute sweetheart. I can only hope that I raise sweet, generous children like her!

Donate to a charity today. It's not about the amount, it's about the gesture and thought behind it! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwww....made me all teary this morning! So cute!

MIL