April 18, 2010

Canoeing in Ocean

Today, I went canoeing in the ocean for the first time. I've been canoeing a few other times in my life, but not in the deep, dark ocean. I know, it's not really that much different than kayaking, but it is a different boat, with different paddles and you are above the water rather than in it. I declare this a first for me today, because I make the rules. So there!

It was sunny, and the water was fairly calm for an ocean. My parents were behind me in the boat, also enjoying the beautiful scenery and peacefulness of the afternoon.
I learned through some research, that canoeing is a reasonable way to develop a flat stomach. Because canoeing burns calories, it helps to create a calorie deficit which forces the body to burn fat - including stomach fat. When I was rowing, it didn't seem like I was working too hard, but it's apparently very good for you.

Did you know, about 10 minutes of canoeing burns about 40 calories. In one year, this daily fitness workout burns a total of 14,600 calories per year - about 4.2 pounds of body fat. A significant proportion of this is likely to be belly fat. 




According to Wikipedia, canoes were developed over the course of thousands of years primarily by the native peoples of North America. Native Americans used fire to fell large trees, as at that time trees grew very large as there was virgin forests. After the tree fell, the Native Americans would make small fires at the top of the log and then scrape out the ash. This process would keep going, until the log was hollowed out. The canoe would still be very heavy so it was usually made close to a river or lake.

If you have access to a canoe or kayak, take it out to the open waters of the ocean nearest you! It's a different experience than being on a lake, and you never know what wildlife or interesting creatures you might find. 

We saw hundreds and hundreds of jellyfish along the shores, because the tide was at extreme extreme lows. We also had the privilege of looking at the site of some sort of Nanaimo rite of passage: a pole covered in bras and bikini tops (and one pair of Homer Simpson boxer shorts). It was very odd, and I wish I knew the story behind it? Anyone? 

No comments: