March 03, 2010

Constructive Criticism

Today, I received my first negative constructive criticism from a teacher about my Photography. It was the first real feedback that wasn't sugar coated ; the beginner classes that I've taken didn't help me as the teachers didn't want to scare people away.  This is the fifth class I've taken at Langara College for the Photography Program and it was hard to hear something negative as I am not used to it. I've always received good marks, always heard good things from everyone I know, and always heard only exceptional comments from teachers about my work. At first I saw this criticism as a sad, depressing thing, and was quite bothered by it. It's not easy to take criticism about something very personal to you; something you put your heart and soul in to.

The more I think about it, the more I am thrilled, though.

This means that I am finally at the level in school (after a year of thinking I wasn't going to learn anything or get any better) where I will start learning and improving. The only way for this to happen is to have teachers give me constructive criticism! This is a huge step for me. I don't know if anyone truly knows what I'm talking about here, but I'm happy about it.

Cheers to learning something new, and growing from it! Here's some of the photos I took for my most recent photo portrait session I did with a friend of mine; the photo session I got critiqued on in my class today: Enjoy! I am still proud of them, even though my teacher had much to say about them! He did ask if my subject was a model though, so Renee you should look in to this :)

(Check out Little Wish Photography for more of my work~)

1 comment:

Kim said...

These are stunning pictures and yes, she is beautiful, and I think you've done a great job of highlighting her beauty. I want to be your model! Can you do this for me? Ha ha.