March 21, 2010

Supper Club

I had this brilliant idea (well I thought it was brilliant) to start up a 'Supper Club' with friends. The word 'Supper Club' actually comes from when I was little, and my parents used to have people over, or they'd go to over to other people's houses, and they'd call it 'Supper Club' ; not dinner, or lunch, or breakfast, but supper. It looked fun, and I remember watching my parents laughing, and socializing. Even though it looked completely boring (as a childs perspective) I thought it was kind of cool. I remember Tara and I would help set the table, and make it look pretty for the guests!

So, it must be a SIGN------->
that I'm getting older, but I'm super excited about my plans to form a 'Supper Club'.

Each time we have a 'Supper Club' night, we have a "theme" of some kind. By this, I mean that everyone has to bring a dish that has the same color, or ingredient or favourite chef, or specific country, or spice, etc. For example, the theme might be "tomatoes" and everyone attending has to bring a dish with tomatoes in it! You can be as creative or not as you want, as fancy or not as you want, as long as you bring tomatoes of some kind :)

 You can make as many dishes as your budget allows or your arms can carry. The host/hostess of the evening gets to decide on the theme and communicate it with all the people in the 'Supper Club' at least the day before.

Tonight, our theme was "the color yellow" so we had yellow curry and rice, Corn with bacon wrapped chicken stuffed with bananas, white wine, Indian rice curry seafood soup, and great company to share it with! Thanks to Tara, and Kyle who attending the FIRST official 'Supper Club' and cheers to many more to come!
The great thing is, there are no rules about someone bringing salad, or veggies, or meat, etc. The fun part is the unknown, and combining everyone's creation into one sit-down TAPA style meal! It may not be a fully nutritionally balanced meal, but who cares!

I guarantee the themes will become more creative as we go along, and the only rule is that we don't ever repeat a theme. I also thought it would be fun to cover your dish with tinfoil, so that when you come to the person's apt/house you place your 'dish' on the table or oven if need be, with all the other tinfoil dishes so there is a secret buffet of food ready to be uncovered all at once. Then, we dig in!  Can't wait for the next one :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds fun!
Want to hear more!

Smooches
Linder

Clemintine's faithful follower said...

busy busy busy! how'd your week off facebook go??

Adventure awaits you.. said...

I only lasted 5 days on my week off! :( hahahaha. it was really hard, and I felt completely unconnected from the world. It's funny though, because really, I could have just called people. I rely far too much on texting and facebook. It was a good realization for me to make more of an effort actually phoning people! :)