March 09, 2010

Scallops

I've had scallops before, this is not a first for me.  I love them and sometimes even crave them out of nowhere. I've had incredibly life-altering moments tasting the scrumptious juicy-melt-in-your-mouth delicious treats. But, today for the first time I attempted to cook them myself, on my own stove in my own kitchen. I used only small scallops, but the recipe   I used called for bigger more tasty ones. I used an amazing recipe out of one of Jamie Oliver's Cook books. Seriously, any recipe you chose from him will be to-die-for. He is amazing, and comes up with the most insane combinations of food that tickle your taste buds in ways you never thought possible. I made pan seared scallops with crispy bacon and sage with green lentils over Greens. Trust me, it tastes far better than the photo reveals. It was an amazing warm salad, when all was said and done. I am no chef (I leave that up to Matt) but I can follow a recipe very well!


Here is a close-up photo of the finished product. This photo really doesn't give it justice for the flavours that came out of it. If only photos could release smells. The rosemary and lemon were the most distinct smells/tastes and complimented the scallops and lentils extremely well. I would recommend anyone try this recipe, or any other Jamie Oliver recipes. You won't be dissapointed. Matt and I have tried many, and have like all of them! Click here for a copy of his recipe online!

Here are some random bits of info I learned from my experience/research today:

1. Health magazine has selected lentils as
one of the five healthiest foods
2. Lemon poured in to the pan with scallops creates a beautiful caramel coating while frying them, and stops them from burning.
3. In several tribal areas of Inner Mongolia, a salve made from lentils, coriander, and cumin is used as a folk remedy for infertility
4. One legend of the "Way of St. James" holds, that the route was seen as a sort of fertility pilgrimage, undertaken when a young couple desired to bear offspring. The scallop shell is believed to have originally been carried therefore by pagans as a symbol of fertility

That's all for now, folks!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm so glad to hear about the lemon thing because most of the time ours have a slightly burned taste, especially if we cook them with garlic.