March 19, 2010

Plantain

I bought a Plantain today for the first time thinking I could eat it.  It looked good enough to eat, but little did I know, that plantains are actually nothing like bananas! Good thing I did a bit of research before eating it!
Did you know, that plantains vary in sweetness depending on its state of ripeness. Unlike the very similar banana, the plantain is usually firmer and lower in sugar content. Also while bananas can be eaten raw, plantains normally require cooking. You shouldn't really eat them raw, as it will be quite starchy and not very good, so I've read. There is one guy, who says to let it go absolutely black, and then eat it raw. ewwwww, no thanks! It looks like this:
I'm the kind of person who won't eat a banana if it even has the slightest bit of black on it. You won't catch me eating a plantain that is completely black! hell no!
I decided to fry it up, and make Tostones. Plantains are a staple in the Latin Caribbean diet. They are prepared many different ways, but tostones are the quickest and easiest. It’s a perfect recipe for beginners. You can serve the tostones immediately while they’re warm as a side dish or as a snack with garlic dip. Go here for a simple recipe!





Let them fry in oil for about 3 minutes



Let them cool down on a napkin and then smash them flat, and re-fry again! Yes, very healthy I know :) But, they were a delicious snack....
Then, make THIS recipe for the 
sauce to dip in! It's extremely garlicy, and oiniony and might make your eyes water but DELISH!



Try a new recipe for the first time, it's good fun!

No comments: