March 16, 2010

One-week: Facebook

I decided today I would not go on Facebook for one week. Since I joined Facebook a few years ago, I've probably been on it every day (even when I went traveling I checked it every few days). This might seem like an easy task for some people, but for me it will be very difficult. I am a full fledged Facebook Addict, and I love it! It's a great place to write down opinions, thoughts or comments. It's a great place to communicate with other people quickly and easily, and send messages if you have a quick thought. I have Facebook on my iPhone as well and it tells me when I have a new message or notification with a quick tap of the screen!

I am going to attempt for the first time to avoid it, for one whole week. Can I do it? I have a few friends that aren't on Facebook so I will get a taste of not being part of the most popular social networking system out there! (sorry Liz and Andrew) I firmly believe you are missing out on something quite unique! I am only doing this week experiment for my Blog, otherwise, I would go on it everyday happily, with no regrets. People who aren't on Facebook these days, often don't get invited to Events because they aren't on people's Friends Lists. Phone/email is not peoples first mode of communication anymore. It's sad, but true. You might as well embrace it! :)  I know my non-Facebook friends will be reading this, and I want you to know that I love you regardless, and want you to know that I do my best to invite you guys to Events, even if you aren't on my Friends List! :) xo

Today, I've been doing other things online to distract myself from Facebook. I've been updating my Website and catching up on old emails but I've found myself, almost without thinking, clicking on the "Facebook" Bookmark I have on my Internet Browser. It's interesting how it's become such a habit in my regular day to day activity and without it, I feel funny. It's only been about 8 hours since I woke up, and already I am missing it.  Wow. 6 more days to go.

Here's some interesting facts about Facebook I found. Yes, I found them on wikipedia. It is my greatest source for information for this Blog.


1. The website currently has more than 400 million active users worldwide.

2. Facebook has met with some controversy. It has been blocked intermittently in several countries including Syria, China, Vietnam, and Iran. It has also been banned at many places of work to discourage employees from wasting time using the service

3. Entertainment Weekly put it on its end-of-the-decade 'best-of' list, saying, "How on earth did we stalk our exes, remember our co-workers' birthdays, bug our friends, and play a rousing game of Scrabulous before Facebook?

4. The Facebook iPhone app was launched August 2007 and as of July 2008 over 1.5 million people use it regularly

5. In 2008, Collins English Dictionary declared "Facebook" as their new Word of the Year.

6. It has been reported that more than 3% of all Facebook users are deceased.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry dude, never joining Facebook. For one, I'd never get the invites anyway, because I would check it as often as my email (as in, maybe monthly). For another, I'm not interested in posting personal stuff on a website that is gets sued by governments for privacy infringements because they don't protect your data. Good luck with your week-long challenge!
-Liz

Adventure awaits you.. said...

hahaha, I know you won't! I wish I was that strong. lol. :) Have a fun girls trip this week :)