January 02, 2010

Baking Bread in the Oven


Well, it's official! I've baked my first loaf of bread in a pan. You have to know, that I'm not much of a cook, or baker. However, one of my most favourite smells in the world is the scent of fresh baked bread. The wonderful aroma brings a smile to my face! I always wanted to buy a bread maker, but never got around to it. A friend of mine bakes bread all the time in her oven, and boasts about it all the time. So, I thought it was my turn!

I chose the simplest recipe I could find. Click Here for simple recipe.
I made it 50%whole wheat, to pump up the nutrition value as I'd feel too guilty eating pure white bread!

It went fairly smoothly, considering I almost DIED when I smelled the dry yeast mixed with water. It was not something you should ever put your nose right up to! Bleah. It's almost as bad as my sister's farts! ahaha... We used to have farting wars against the linoleum in our parents basement to see who could make the loudest noise. ..(Ok, getting off topic here...)

I felt very inexperienced while kneading the bread, and I'm sure there is supposed to be a sort of 'romance' involved with the baker and the dough. I did not feel anything but the interesting texture and gooiness, much like a child touching play dough for the first time. Perhaps this is love? Puppy love...

Oh, and it is delicious with a smidgen of butter, slightly warm ... MMM mmm good.

~Time to go eat a whole loaf of bread..






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! You didn't use Grammie Verge's recipe for Brown or White bread! Ask Matt about it! I also have a recipe for water rolls that is VERY simple...not much kneeding and they are delicious!

Love
Linder