January 24, 2010

Robbie Burns Day & Haggis


I've definetely heard of Haggis, but always thought it was something disgusting and never tried it. IScotland, every January 25th they celebrate the birthday of their national poet, Robbie Burns; they call it Robbie Burns Day! I really had no idea that this festivity took place, so it was interesting to hear about my friend Andrew ( and some of his old friends) talk about their past experiences with this Event. Go here to learn more: Robbie Burns Day

A special 'pudding' is served on this day, called Haggis which has been cooked inside a sheep's stomach. It's not the sweet desert pudding you might be thinking of, but a savoury delicious, texture-filled delight. It is made from the heart, liver and lungs of a sheep. These organs are finely chopped and mixed with toasted oatmeal, onions, and seasonings. Then everything is boiled in a bag made from the sheep's stomach. (ours was not made in a sheep's stomach apparently)  This is the first time I tried it, and it was very good. I didn't think about what was actually in it, or else I might not have eaten it. Liz, my lovely friend, told me it was some of the best Haggis she's had. So, I lucked out for my first time trying it. 


In Scotland tradition, you are to serve Haggis with "Neeps and Tatties" (mashed turnips and mashed potatoes) which was deliciously made by a lovely couple I met tonight. You are to read aloud Burns' famous Address To a Haggis before the cutting of the Haggis. After, there is supposed to be whiskey toast (which we didn't do) then the company will sit and enjoy the meal. Burns dinners have been held in his honour for over 200 years. Interesting, right? I thought so. You learn something new everyday; you try something new every day. This is the life. 

Thanks Liz and Andrew for hosting such an intersting dinner party!

1 comment:

Greendipiti said...

Errrrr....i think I might vomit.