January 05, 2010

Coconut Jam


I've realized today that many of my firsts will probably involve food of some kind as there is SOOOO much food out there to try! I could do this my whole life, and still not taste everything in the world. Anyway, while I was at the T&T Market yesterday, I noticed many random, weird things I'd like to try one day. However, one of my favourite tastes in the world is coconut. I love coconut in ice cream, and chocolate and in different Malaysian dishes. Mmm good! I passed by some coconut jam in the store and instantly I was excited! I figured I would love anything related to coconut as well, so I bought it without hesitation.

It turns out, I was sorely wrong about this one. First of all it was green, which was sort of off-putting but I didn't want to worry about the color as it was all about the taste. Looks can be deceiving so they say! My sister, Tara was with me (and since she's on her wheat-free kick) we spread it on top of some rice crackers- perhaps this is where we went wrong? What food tastes good on styrofoam-like food? (I'm sure Tara will disagree and say hummus as she lives on that stuff) Surely not some weird, green coconut goo which consisted of eggs and tapioca starch. Anyways, the first taste was surprising; almost creamy, thick and very sweet. The second and third bites were manageable, but I still wasn't convinced. By the fourth bite I was bored of it and I wanted to add something to it, or make it different.


I decided it needed a bit of a kick, so I added nerds to it. Yes, I said nerds. The box of  mini candies with 2 flavours, that you used to eat as a child. (I still eat them now) The ones you ate mouthfuls of at a time through the spout of the box! They were green as well, so it was a match made in heaven. Well, for the few few bites it definitely improved the coconut experience, but overall I just ended up eating the nerds by themselves and left an unfinished styrofoam and jam concoction on the coffee table. The upside to all of this? If someone asks me if I've eaten coconut jam, I can say "YES!" *Update* My friend Marissa apparently likes the jam, so I'm passing it on to her, to enjoy! :)

Besides this strange first I had today, I experienced another one that was not planned; I cried like a baby. The first of the year, and it felt goooooood. You know sometimes when you cry it surprisingly makes you feel relieved afterwards? Well, it was that kind of cry. My sister and I watched 'My Sisters Keeper'. It was the first time I watched a movie solely about sisters, with my sister. It was a special thing, really. I love both of my sisters. RA RA SISTERS. (Kim, wish you could've been there, too!)  It was a very touching, sad, and emotional movie, and I highly recommend it if you need to get a good cry out of you. The movie reminds you about love, and life and how short it can be.

Live life to the fullest, and try something NEW today! :)


3 comments:

Liz said...

Jen,

Durian is supposed to be very, very stinky. I heard somewhere that you're not allowed to eat it on the subway in Japan because it smells so bad. It's supposed to be tasty though. If you want to try it, I'd join you for that first!

Also on food, frog legs have the texture of chicken but taste very aquatic (read: FISHY). That's an experience I don't plan on repeating. Blech.

Gavin Purcell said...

I'm going to watch that movie and cry like a baby too, I'm sure. Miss you. xo Kim

Unknown said...

Once again, that was Kim, not Gavin...oops.