January 21, 2010

Lemon Meringue




Lemon Meringue Pie is one of my favourite desserts of all time; I just love the light, tangy and sweet taste. It's truly heaven in my mouth. Perhaps this might be an interesting wedding cake? (hahah, well it does go with my yellow theme! ) So why not learn to make it from scratch, right? I've never done this before and everything is better when made from fresh homemade ingredients! These are the ingredients for the lemon filling..
Added Interesting Note: Apparently, it's National Pie Day on Jan. 23rd, so you too can make a pie you've never made before! Check out this wicked website about the Pie Day where people perform "random acts of pieness" in celebration! :    Click here!
I've heard it can be a bit of a challenge to make the meringue part; I wasn't too worried, how hard can it be? Well, one tip, make sure you have a proper blender because without it, you are pretty much going to make a horribly non-fluffy, watery mess.  We failed miserably with the Meringue as we used our Magic Bullet - probably not the best choice. (perhaps just a whisk would've been better?) As the mixture sat for about 30 minutes it separated and the top layer tasted (almost) like Meringue. I scooped the fluffy part at the top and took a bite of the pie at the same time, and it was (almost) heaven in my mouth. It was missing the beautiful golden brown, marshmallow texture at the top.

According to the food historians, lemon flavored custards, puddings and pies have been enjoyed since Medieval times. It was not until the 17th century that they perfected meringue. (so I don't feel too bad) By the 19th century, lemon cakes were standard fare in American cookbooks. Lemon meringue pie, as we know it today, is a 19th century product. The earliest recorded recipe was created by Alexander Frehse in the mid-nineteenth century made with typical farmyard accessible ingredients such as lemons and eggs. (wikipedia).
Sshhh, don't tell anyone, but I like the lemon part more than the Meringue anyway, so I wasn't really that dissapointed. I made a yummy lemon tart! :) 
My fiance is going away tomorrow for 4 weeks, so I will probably gobble this all up myself in a few days. I cannot wait. I'll miss you, Matty! xo. 




Try something new today--trust me, you'll get a kick out of it!





2 comments:

Linder said...

Good job Jenn! You can buy a little hand mixer for about $10 at Walmart....all you need for most jobs! And yes, even a wisk would have been better than the bullet.

If you get bored while Matt is gone come visit for a weekend! I am sure we could find something fun to do...

Ashley said...

Did I tell you about National Pie Day?
I baked my first pie crust that day and did my first Lemon Cream Pie and it turned out looking terrible I called it Lemon Soup for the contest but it tasted really yummy!
Also not sure if you added a little cream of tartar for the merengue, it helps a lot - but yes a hand whisk over magic bullet for sure. Next time!
Good work!