January 04, 2010

Thailand Cuisine

I spent the majority of the afternoon researching online for my upcoming wedding in Thailand, in Feb 2011-ish. I kept getting sidetracked and starting researching different Thai foods. I have an interesting situation, because I am severely allergic to peanuts, however the major part of Thai cuisine consists of peanuts in some form or another. This poses a major issue if I'm wanting to travel there, however I don't want it to stop me from experiencing a beautiful part of the world. So, I figured I would try to learn more about the dishes that I can eat, and be very familiar with them so when I travel there I won't be stuck eating rabbit food and rice.
I went to the T&T Supermarket today for the first time in my life to buy ingredients for a Seafood Thai Hot Pot recipe, found HERE. (Shopping at T & T is like taking a journey through parts of Asia where one finds fresh mangoes from the Philippines, crispy snacks from Japan, sauces from Hong Kong, noodles from Taiwan, spices from Thailand and a variety of flavours from China and other Asian countries)
It seemed only right that I would go to T&T for this recipe, rather than Safeway. I know, I know, most 'Vancouverites' will be shocked that I haven't ever been to this fantastic place (my friend Tiffany will be for sure) however, I always felt a bit intimidated and assumed I wouldn't be able to know what any of the food was. Little did I know I would be highly amused and extremely happy looking at all the strange foods and packaged goods.

I found a few things interesting enough to take photos of, while in the grocery store. Yes, I looked like a tourist, but I was having a ball!




1. Everything seemed a little over packaged. Ok rediculously over packaged. It makes me laugh looking at this. what a waste!



2. I love frogs as creatures/pets so it was sad to see them face up and gutted! Speaking of frogs, my pet frogs were accidentally murdered- however that's a whole different sad disgusting story. *tear* I'm sure some people think they are tasty, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to eat one? This could be added to my list of firsts to do, I suppose... *cringe*



3 comments:

Tiffany Prystay said...

First off I am shocked! I love T&T! Also I know how to eat the spiky fruit, maybe another first? They even make gelato out of it at the 200 flavours place.

Unknown said...

I'm loving your blog so much, I'm going to have to join you on some of these. K

Adventure awaits you.. said...

If you want, I can tell you in advance what I'm doing, so you can do it , too!! :) I sent you an invite to our MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE party, even though I know you won't be able to come, but its a cool idea to do with the girls!! :()

miss you too