January 23, 2010

Laundry

I am feeling a bit sad right now, so decided that I needed a pick me up. What better way to cheer myself up, than by doing something nice for someone else! I really love this and just thinking about what I did, makes me smile :)  Maybe next year, I'll write a blog about doing something nice for someone 365 days in a row!  That would be really great, don't you think?


Today I did something simple and something you could do if you live in an apartment building with shared laundry. You can leave money in the machine for the next person to pay for their load of laundry. It won't break the bank, but it will leave you feeling very good, happy and even a little sneaky!   I decided to keep the money on the outside of the machine rather than putting it in as a credit, because it is 10pm and most likely no one will use it until tomorrow morning. How long does money sit in the machine, before it resets? I wasn't sure and I didn't want to risk it.



I think it's important to leave a note to let the person know it wasn't a fluke or mistake. I want them to know that what I did was an act of kindness that was meant to be purposeful and I want them to spread the love. I also think the note adds a nice personal touch, don't you? 

Performing acts of kindness has been proven by scientific research to offer direct benefits of improved health and happiness to the giver and receiver!!! This is soo awesome!  For more information on the benefits of kindness click here to see Positive Psychology Studies on Happiness.

The Benefits of Acts of Kindness

Dr. Lyubomirsky summarized the benefits of kind acts as:
  • Helping see others more charitably.
  • Feeling better off by comparison.
  • Relieving guilt over other's misfortune.
  • Feeling interdependence and cooperation.
  • Feeling generous and competent to help others.
  • Being attractive to others.
  • Being appreciated.
I do it because I know the person receiving the kindness will be happy--it's the spreading of happiness that makes me want to do it (not for my own benefits) but it's nice to know it goes both ways! 

No comments: