January 22, 2010

Lululemon


I've never been a big fan of Lululemon. Not for some humanist or moral reason, but because I could care less where my clothes come from or what label is on my clothing. I didn't want to buy into the hype and popularity of this place. Lululemon, " self-described as a yoga-inspired athletic apparel company- producing a clothing line that runs international from its company base in Vancouver, Canada. (I actually had no clue it was based out of Vancouver) I did know this store was popular, and I knew it was expensive so I've never bothered to be too excited about a hundred dollar pair of stretchy pants I could buy at Sport Mart for 40$. This comes from growing up in a place where the "coolest" store in town was Bootlegger, and I'm not joking it was the highlight of our trip to the Mall. I moved to Victoria when I was 19, and I was surprised how much people cared about what designer, or label they were wearing. It was a bit of a culture shock for me; I still just wear what's comfortable or looks good. I actually prefer no labels to be showing, as I don't like to be a walking advertisement.
So today, everything changed in my world. I went in to the Robson Lululemon store today (Downtown Vancouver) with the intent to try something on for the first time, and possibly buy something, using my GST/Climate Action Tax Credit cheque! YAY!  I thought this would be a good way to spend the money- new stretchy pants that I thought I'd never spend the money on.

I didn't end up buying these pants and you are going to think I'm crazy, as it goes against everything I've been blabbering on about! There was no obvious label showing the Lululemon logo and I didn't want to buy a 110$ pair of pants that looked like every other stretchy pants I own. I felt like I was paying the extra money to have that damn logo somewhere visible, so it seemed like a rip off that is wasn't visible. Ha! I'm such a doofus. The employee told me I wasn't the first to mention this, and many people have commented on this same concern, so she thinks the next line of pants that come out, will probably have the logo on them somewhere visible.

Anyways, I did end up buying one of their amazing hoodies, with the Logo clearly showing on the back of my hood; it's amazingly comfortable, good quality, expensive but I'm glad I bought it.

Interesting information regarding the Olympics here in Vancouver, and the Lululemon store which I found quite humorous:

"In late 2009, Lululemon released a line of clothing in an edition to celebrate a "Cool Sporting Event That Takes Place in British Columbia Between 2009 & 2011 Edition." The marketing effort avoided using Olympic trademarks and logos. Representatives from the Vancouver Olympic Organizing Committee, while acknowledging that no explicit infringement had taken place, nevertheless expressed disappointment at Lululemon's tactic."- Wikipedia.

Treat yourself to something nice, and expensive once in awhile! You deserve it! Shop at a store you wouldn't normally shop at and try on clothes for the first time in a new store!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol...the logo is also huge on your chest as it is the pattern of the curved stiching.
I absolutely love love love my Lulu pants, and have had them for 3 years! They still feel like new, no other strechy pants have lasted that long with me.
Good way to spend you cheque!