January 15, 2010

Pad Thai


Here I go again with the Thai food experience and trying something new for the first time. I have a fear of Thai food as I'm severely allergic. The last time I went to a Thai Restaurant there were peanuts in my food which I didn't realize. That was a year ago, and I refused to repeat that experience, until tonight! We went to the Thai House on Robson Street, and it was delicious! I wanted to order Pad Thai as apparently it's quite good, and a traditional Thai dish. 

Since Matt and I are going to Thailand for our wedding, we want to be fully aware of what to expect so we have a healthy, sick-free experience there. We ordered it without the peanuts; it traditionally comes with peanuts. My first few bites were full of fear, and worry, but once I realized I wasn't going to get sick and die, I sort of enjoyed it. It wasn't the best food I've ever had, but it was fairly good. Perhaps I need to have it in Thailand to fully experience the goodness of it? 

ฉัน แพ้ ถั่ว ลิสง และ cashews. กรุณา คุณ สามารถ รับประทาน อาหาร ของ ฉัน โดย ไม่ ถั่ว เหล่า นี้ และ เก็บ รักษา ถั่ว ลิสง ห่าง ไกล จาก อาหาร ของ ฉันฉัน จะ ตาย ถ้า ฉัน กิน พวก เขา. ขอบคุณ มาก. มี วัน ดี. (apparently there is no Thai word for cashew)

This is the message I will bring to Thailand (laminated-Matt's idea), that explains my peanut allergy to the Thai people, in hopes of avoiding a major sickness while we are there. It basically says: I am allergic to peanuts and cashews. Please can you make my meal without these nuts, and keep the peanuts far away from my food! I will die if I eat them . Thanks very much. Have a good day. 

Overall, my first experience with Pad Thai, on a scale from 1 -10 would probably be a 5. Does anyone recommend a good place in the city, that serves exceptionally good Pad Thai? The kind you would eat in Thailand? This will not be be the last time I try this dish, as I'd like to experience it again.

Word of Advice: Go out to a restaurant, and order something you've never tried before! Order something you wouldn't make at home, and try something for the first time!


15 days of firsts down- 350 to go!

1 comment:

Greendipiti said...

Those noodles are not traditional at all...and most Thai places I've been to in Vancouver, don't know how to master Pad Thai...guess you'll have to try it out on the street in Bangkok :)