January 17, 2010

The Homeless

My REAL first today, was the fact that my lovely sister and I saw our first George Clooney movie of the year. How is it that he is 48yrs old, and still beautiful as ever!? Up in the Air was a pretty strange movie, and definitely didn't leave you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.


Moving on to my actual first today. I wanted to attempt to buy some food for a homeless person, and have them accept my offer, without hesitation. (I have tried this before, so it's not a true first but they never want the food)  I remember asking a homeless man once if he wanted a hotdog because his sign said "I'm hungry" but he wanted the money I would have spent on the hotdog.  I declined as I didn't want to encourage the drug addictions he probably had. Has this happened to you?

There are two type of homeless people in my eyes. One: the type who look like they have decent clothes, and normal social behaviors who could easily get a job. Maybe this is assuming too much? And two: the type that look and act like they are physically and emotionally suffering.

I bought a warmed panini sandwich for a man who had a sign that said "It's my 52nd Birthday" (It probably wasn't). He looked like he was 80 years old, shriveling and practically melting in the rain. It was really pouring! He was completely out of it, and when I handed him the sandwich he mumbled something, thanked me and that was that. He was more than happy to take what he could get. I felt an instant pang of heart ache for this man. He was obviously on some major drugs and probably had no clue that I had even given him food. I wish I could have done more for him.

I grew up in a place where you would rarely see homeless people because the weather was too cold to survive on the streets. So, I have a hard time walking by a suffering human being without feeling some sort of emotion for them. People who have lived in Vancouver for a long time are used to it; I don't know that I will ever get used to it. Driving by Pender and Hastings is hard for me. (this is the most populated homeless area in the city) It really makes me want to cry. I am currently looking in to doing some Volunteer work at a Shelter or Soup Kitchen in the Downtown East side. Anyone want to do this with me?

Help someone in need today; small efforts are better than no efforts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I volunteer at a women's shelter (there are so few beds for women in this city!). Next time I go, I'll give you a call!